Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sweet Tooth


Dear Spencer,

As promised, here is your 24 week update:

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

4 Ounces in a week? So that should mean my steady 2 pounds per week weight gain is right on track, right? Ha.

I went to the doctor this week and took my glucose test, which basically meant that I drank this syrupy orange drink and waited an hour in the waiting room and had my blood taken. The orange drink wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said it would be. Perhaps that's because I thought it tasted like Orange Fanta and anyone who knows me knows I
love fruity soda. I really hope I passed the test because, for one, I don't want to do the three hour test and two, I would hate to part with those yummy pieces of Heaven in the photo above.

Yes, those are Swiss Cake Rolls and I am undeniably addicted to them.

I can eat a box of these delightful little cakes a week, but I try to resist the urge to do just that. If I fail the glucose test I will have to break up with my beloved $1.59 dessert. So let's keep our fingers crossed that all goes well.

In other news, your father finally felt you kick this week. It was Monday night to be exact. He was so excited, as was I. I'm glad our little chat seemed to work. I wonder if we will always see eye to eye this easily?

Here's hoping!

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment