Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A few of My Favorite Things...


Dear Spencer,

When I was a child, I loved to read. If I wasn't reading a story, I was writing my own. Books were among my favorite things, and if made to, I would've chosen them over even my most prized possessions. Yes, even my beloved Teddy Ruxpin doll.

When I was five years old I spent some time living with your great grandmother, Mary and your great grandfather, Doug at their home in Kentucky. Grandmary, as we called her, would read to me at night and sometimes in the afternoons at my request. Although she had a vast collection of children's stories, nearly every single night I requested that we read one of two books, Miss Suzy or Harvey's Hideout. These two books singlehandedly inspired my love of reading (at Grandmary's cost). God bless her, she probably read them each a hundred times (if not more). By the end of our time together we could recite the pages by heart.

Now that we are becoming parents, your father and I have started a tiny collection of books on a shelf just for you, in hopes that you will share our love of reading. Today, that collection grew by two, as I found a copy of each of my favorite childhood books and ordered them for you. I cannot wait for us to read these stories together again and again.

As Oscar Wilde would say "If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all."


Practicing my funny voices,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment