Sunday, June 6, 2010

Making Mistakes



Dear Spencer,

A couple of weeks ago, I made an appointment at the dog grooming parlor to have Napoleon bathed. I called on a Wednesday afternoon and his appointment was scheduled for the following morning. Around 1:30pm the next day, as I sat at my desk eating the last morsels of my lunch, I wondered why, on this particular day I didn't need to go home to let our beloved pet outside?

Of course, that was the moment when I remembered. I, the loving and devoted pet mother had completely forgotten to take our little guy to his appointment.

Oh, the shame!

I did my best to collect my thoughts and promptly called the grooming parlor to offer my best apology and request a reschedule. The friendly lady who answered the phone was very understanding and gave me the next available appointment for first thing the next morning.

That evening I told your father about my complete failure and asked him to remind me to take our pup to the salon the next morning.

Of course your father felt no need to
actually remind me because the next morning I arose in a chipper mood and happily declared to Napoleon "You're gettin' a bath today, buddy!"

You know, it's a real shame that even saying it out loud a mere 30 minutes before I walked out the door didn't stop me from forgetting again. This time it was 10:30am when realized that I had failed to take our four legged friend to his much needed appointment once more. A feeling of complete and total shame came over me like a tidal wave.
How could I forget, again?

Naturally, the only thing left to do was rush home, grab Napoleon and head to the salon as though nothing happened. Lucky for me, the same nice lady from the phone the day earlier was the one to greet me at the door. She didn’t seem to notice that it was 11:00am, or she was too polite to point it out, but either way she graciously took our pup.

In the end, it all worked out just fine. We survived, Napoleon got his bath and I was able to keep a
small amount of my dignity.

Spencer, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we even find ourselves making the same mistake twice
(in the same week). I wish I could promise you that I will never make mistakes as your mother - but I know that simply isn't possible (just ask Napoleon). However, I can promise you that I will always strive to do my absolute best and I will never have a problem saying "I'm sorry". In the words of Winston Churchill, "All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes."

I'll do my best to be wise.



All my love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment