
Dear Spencer,
Lately this guy has been on mind. A lot. This of course, is your Poppa, my late father.
I've been having lots of dreams where he is in the background, much like a wallflower at a party. I imagine this is my subconscious' way of my letting me know that he's watching over me. Over us. I definitely find comfort in knowing that we have one heck of a guardian angel looking down upon us as we approach this very critical stage of our journey - your delivery and life thereafter.
Your Poppa was a wonderful man, respected by all who knew him. He was a devoted husband, an excellent father and an even better grandfather. One of the first things I thought when I found out I was carrying a baby boy was how excited your Poppa would've been. He absolutely adored all of his girls, but there's no doubt he would've relished in having a little cowboy to take to Auburn football games. I can't even begin to imagine how many pair of boots and jerseys we would own at this point - my guess is a closet full.
The second thing that came to mind was how sad I couldn't help but feel knowing that you would never know him. That he would never know you. That he wouldn't be here to fight us all to be the first to hold you. That he wouldn't ever take you for rides in his truck or pick you up on Sundays for church. That you wouldn't get to be Poppa's boy.
The second thing that came to mind was how sad I couldn't help but feel knowing that you would never know him. That he would never know you. That he wouldn't be here to fight us all to be the first to hold you. That he wouldn't ever take you for rides in his truck or pick you up on Sundays for church. That you wouldn't get to be Poppa's boy.
Then I realized that although you wouldn't experience all of those things with Poppa, it didn't mean you wouldn't experience them at all.
We'll still make sure that you have a pair of cowboy boots, and at least one piece of Auburn memorabilia. We'll remember to take you to the rodeos and get you to church on time. But most importantly, we'll keep his spirit alive, by raising you with the kind of love that only he could give.
We'll still make sure that you have a pair of cowboy boots, and at least one piece of Auburn memorabilia. We'll remember to take you to the rodeos and get you to church on time. But most importantly, we'll keep his spirit alive, by raising you with the kind of love that only he could give.
That's my promise to you.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment