Friday, December 17, 2010

Well that's embarrassing.




Dear Spencer,


In case you haven't discovered this already - my life is just one constant strand of humiliating events. Unfortunately, some of my best and most embarrassing moments you'll probably never hear of, because some stories just shouldn't be told. 

Fortunately, this is not one of those.


S
o yesterday morning as I am driving down our street, I noticed that much to my delight our neighbor had a beautiful blue sign in their yard that read "It's a Boy!" Overwhelmed with joy, I immediately  phoned your father to share with him the exciting news. I explained to him that I must go to the baby boutique and purchase a special gift for this child, as he was only three months younger than you and therefore destined to be your new BFF.

Daddy agreed.


All day I thought about this new bundle of joy. I imagined the two of you riding bikes together until the streetlights came on. I imagined hearing sweet squeals of joy as the two of you played in our backyard. I even imagined that his mother and I would become fast friends, united by the love our children shared for one another, and so on.

After a full day at work fantasizing about this exciting friendship to come, I went to the baby boutique to pick out a gift. Unable to find the"perfect" present, I decided to trek on, leaving the task for this weekend. 
After my very unsuccessful shopping trip, I drove over to your aunt Sassy's house to drop off a gift. As I was driving through her neighborhood, I noticed another one of those beautiful blue signs that read "It's a Boy!".

Hmm. That's strange. Her neighbor had a baby boy too??


Upon closer inspection I realized the sign was from a local church. Yup, that beautiful blue sign was announcing the birth of Jesus.

I'm just really glad fate decided to do me a solid and spare me the embarrassment of delivering a gift to my neighbor who was simply announcing the birth of the Savior. 
After all, I am no Wise Man.


Love,
Mommy