Dear Spencer,
Buddy, it has been a r-o-u-g-h week. It all began Friday night when I decided that I needed some Mexican in my life, so we went to Cisco's for dinner. In the words of Julia Roberts in her fame-making movie Pretty Woman I say, Big mistake. BIG. HUGE!
Saturday morning you seemed to be just fine so you, me & Daddy all went to Columbus to get out and enjoy some fresh air. After a long day of strolling in the sunshine, we returned home and you let out a very phlegmy cough. Immediately, I knew something wasn't right. I took your temperature ala stick-up-the-butt-style and confirmed you had a fever of 102.
Commence meltdown.
I called the pediatrician's office and of course, being Saturday I was unable to reach anyone. I then called Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and they gave me a list of remedies, warnings, and advice. We began a concoction of medications and managed through the night. The next morning, since it was Sunday and we had a blizzard looming in the distance, I decided to take you on your first trip to the emergency room. Not exactly a milestone worth celebrating, but noteworthy I suppose. At the emergency room, they ran some tests, performed your first chest x-ray, gave you some breathing treatments, and sent us on our way.
Your diagnosis? The flu.
Yup. My love for all things cheesy, spicy and crunchy has brought some very unnecessary pain to my baby boy and I am just heartbroken over it. I feel absolutely terrible for taking you to a restaurant during flu season. I should have known better. In fact, I do know better. Saying I'm sorry doesn't even begin to cover the remorse I am feeling.
The only real upside to all of this is the extra bonding time it has provided us, seeing that now you are waking every 2 hours and I am holding you around the clock. Thankfully, Nay has come over and relieved me two nights this week. It was time to turn off The Cranberries "Zombie" that had been playing in my head over and over all week long.
Zaaahaambie, Zaaahaambie, Zaaahaambie, hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh
The other upside to this experience? Shower time. We've been spending a lot of time in the bathroom utilizing it as a sauna to open up your head. Why is this fun? Because of the entertainment, duh. I've had the iPod (2030 Spencer asks "what's an iPod, mom?") playing and we've been grooving to the classic tunes of Hall & Oats, Rod Stewart, Journey, and your personal favorite - Prince. You've also really enjoyed watching my sweet dance moves. In fact, yesterday I got my very first giggle when the towel hit the ground.
I was only slightly offended.
So that's where we are today. Surviving our first sickness. I'm a boogie-sucking, steam-making, medicine-serving champ. You're getting better every day and I know soon you'll be back to your old self...and until then we'll keep on rockin'.
All my apologies, all my Love,
Mommy
