Dear Spencer,
Nine months ago we walked into the doctor's office to have you treated for a small cold and ended up walking out with an eczema diagnosis and our first prescription for a topical steroid.
Since then, our days have consisted of a plethora of expensive creams, lotions, shampoos, and potions as we fight the hard battle against this frustrating, and at times heartbreaking, skin condition. We've consulted with dermatologists, allergists, and two pediatricians - not to mention, I've read more about this condition than I'd ever care to admit.
So I guess you're probably wondering why I've decided to write about this now.
Well, for months and months I've hoped that this was going to be a short-lived problem for you. I thought because countless people have assured me, that you would "grow out of it". That miraculously one day, we would wake up and your skin would be glowing and gorgeous. That all the Vaseline, Aquaphor, eighty dollar tubes of cream, steroids, antibiotics, yeast creams, twenty dollar bottles of bath wash, special detergents, long baths, and oral medications would have finally paid off. That we could go outside and enjoy some sunshine in the summer. That we could wipe your face with a regular baby wipe. That we could feed you anything we wanted without fear of repercussions. Or at the very least I could have a soft towel fresh out of the dryer infused with the sweet scent of Downy mixed with Tide.
You know. The simple things that I always took for granted.
However, sadly, it looks like we're fighting the long hard battle here, and in all likelihood, this could be a lifelong condition for you.
This month after a bout with Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease and then Croup you were on oral steroids for nearly a month solid. Your skin was so gorgeous and clear - it was amazing! For one whole month, I only had to put lotion on your face - and let me tell you - it was glorious! Unfortunately, we are paying tenfold for that month of steroids, as you are now going through steroid withdrawal and your entire face is inflamed with eczema.
Because I've now seen what these drugs are doing to you, I have made the hard decision to take you off all steroids - both topical and oral. In the past, I was partially accepting of having to use them temporarily, but now that our relationship with them has turned almost daily, I have decided it's time to break the cycle.
So we're on day two of what is sure to be a rough journey. I'm not sure how long steroid withdrawal will last in you, but from what I've read, it can be pretty vicious. I know that some people will probably question my decision and think that I should just give you the steroids since they "work", but I simply can't keep putting your future health at risk.
I'm confident that we will beat this. That together, armed with our persistence and dedication to "the routine", we will get your skin under control and one day we will laugh in the face of this terrible skin condition.
Now that we've ended our abusive relationship with steroids our next strep is allergy testing number two, which has been scheduled for Tuesday. Let's pray for some answers!
I love you, my beautiful man.
Love,
Mommy

Aww. I'm so sorry that his eczema is so extreme. We have a steroid cream but only bust it on in the case of a bad flare up. I knew he had eczema but didn't realize it was so extreme. I hope this process is easy on him. Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kara! I think the hardest part is not being able to figure out what causes the eczema. If we could eliminate that one thing (or things) it wouldn't be so dang frustrating! But for now, we'll just continue throwing darts in the dark and hoping that something sticks! :)
ReplyDeletePoor Spencer! That is so not fun! Hopefully Tuesday will bring answers, because not knowing is so frustrating!
ReplyDelete