
Dear Spencer,
Baby boy, it's been one heck of a week. Last Wednesday I went to my regular checkup at Dr. B's office and my blood pressure was really elevated so he sent me to WGH Labor & Delivery to be monitored. That was at 10:30AM on Wednesday, September 15. I was monitored until 2:30PM when Dr. B came in and made the call that we would need to go ahead and start inducing. By all accounts, I was 37 weeks, 2 days pregnant (later confirmed to be 36 weeks, 5 days).
At 5:00PM Dr. B came in and gave me my first dose of the medicine used in the induction, after that I received the medication 4 additional times throughout the night, ending at 5:30AM on Thursday, September 16. At 9:00AM Dr. B came in and checked my progress, broke my water and started me on the medication used to start contractions. Labor was officially in progress.
Around 1:00PM Dr. B came back again to check on me and noticed that not only had I not progressed much in the process, but your heart rate was not fluctuating as much as they like. After a few attempts to stimulate you with no success, Dr. B made the call for a c-section.
To say I was scared would be a vast understatement. It's was more like terrified. Petrified even. I was fearful for my sweet baby, I was fearful for myself, fearful of the pain, but mostly fearful of the unknown. I was shaking beyond control. I wanted to vomit. I cried tears that I've never cried in all my 30 years.
After several increased doses in my epidural, I was left feeling as numb as a paraplegic, completely unable to wiggle my toes. Daddy was told to "scrub up" and I was immediately wheeled into the operating room. When Daddy arrived into the O.R., it was approximately 1:45 PM and "Norweigan Wood" was playing in the background.
Your Daddy, known for his weak stomach, became the strongest man on the planet that day. As if my immense love for him already wasn't enough, he made me fall in love with him even more. He put on the most brave face I've ever seen, he was my rock. He lovingly held my hand and stroked my hair and assured me that you and I would both be okay. I believed him.
The time was 2:00PM, "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" was playing in the background and we heard your voice. It was the most magical sound my ears have ever experienced. Unlike any other baby's cry, your song was beautiful. My heart exploded. Love pumped through my veins. I felt a high that was beyond compare. Our baby boy was here and he was safe.
Immediately Daddy walked over to watch over you while Dr. B and his nurses finished sewing me up. "Hey Jude" was playing. We discussed the origin of the song and how it's original title "Hey Jules" was written by Paul McCartney to comfort John Lennon's son Julian during his parent's divorce. We also discussed how your Daddy and I had considered naming you Jude before deciding upon Spencer. Before I knew it, surgery was over and I was wheeled into recovery.
Shortly after my arrival into recovery, you were handed to me for the first time. Holding you in my arms was indescribable. I couldn't believe how beautiful you were. You had your daddy's kissable lips and a head full of gorgeous hair. You were simply perfect.
Everything after that moment became a blur.
Daddy took you to the nursery for your first bath and I was taken to my room. What seemed like an eternity passed by as I waited for the nurses to bring my baby to the room like all the other babies. Finally, I was told that you were not regulating your temperature and you would need to warm under the heat lamps for a bit. No big deal. After that it was a series of visits and phone calls from the nursery, one after another telling us that we had yet another obstacle to endure. It was clear that our sweet angel would be spending more time with the nurses and less time with us.
Over Thursday and Friday, we had an influx of visitors, all very excited to see you. Although they couldn't hold you, each of them visited you through the nursery window and the consensus was in - you were precious! During that time period I was able to hold you three times, once in recovery and twice in the nursery. It wasn't much, but I was grateful for every minute.
On Saturday we received much better news, your temperature was regulating, jaundice was down and your blood sugar was maintaining beautifully. At 4:00PM you were brought into our room. Bless your heart, you were passed around and treated like our own personal dress up doll for hours. Around 10:00PM you were tuckered out and so were we. The nurses came and took you back to the nursery for some resting and testing.
So that brings us to the current moment, it's Sunday morning at 7:30AM. I'm jumping in the shower and heading up to visit my baby boy for what I hope is the very last time. The pediatrician feels confident that today we will go home and I couldn't be more excited. Your fur-brothers Napoleon and MacGruber have been waiting a long time to meet you and we're ready to show you the world.
Hope you're ready!
Love,
Mommy
Baby boy, it's been one heck of a week. Last Wednesday I went to my regular checkup at Dr. B's office and my blood pressure was really elevated so he sent me to WGH Labor & Delivery to be monitored. That was at 10:30AM on Wednesday, September 15. I was monitored until 2:30PM when Dr. B came in and made the call that we would need to go ahead and start inducing. By all accounts, I was 37 weeks, 2 days pregnant (later confirmed to be 36 weeks, 5 days).
At 5:00PM Dr. B came in and gave me my first dose of the medicine used in the induction, after that I received the medication 4 additional times throughout the night, ending at 5:30AM on Thursday, September 16. At 9:00AM Dr. B came in and checked my progress, broke my water and started me on the medication used to start contractions. Labor was officially in progress.
Around 1:00PM Dr. B came back again to check on me and noticed that not only had I not progressed much in the process, but your heart rate was not fluctuating as much as they like. After a few attempts to stimulate you with no success, Dr. B made the call for a c-section.
To say I was scared would be a vast understatement. It's was more like terrified. Petrified even. I was fearful for my sweet baby, I was fearful for myself, fearful of the pain, but mostly fearful of the unknown. I was shaking beyond control. I wanted to vomit. I cried tears that I've never cried in all my 30 years.
After several increased doses in my epidural, I was left feeling as numb as a paraplegic, completely unable to wiggle my toes. Daddy was told to "scrub up" and I was immediately wheeled into the operating room. When Daddy arrived into the O.R., it was approximately 1:45 PM and "Norweigan Wood" was playing in the background.
Your Daddy, known for his weak stomach, became the strongest man on the planet that day. As if my immense love for him already wasn't enough, he made me fall in love with him even more. He put on the most brave face I've ever seen, he was my rock. He lovingly held my hand and stroked my hair and assured me that you and I would both be okay. I believed him.
The time was 2:00PM, "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" was playing in the background and we heard your voice. It was the most magical sound my ears have ever experienced. Unlike any other baby's cry, your song was beautiful. My heart exploded. Love pumped through my veins. I felt a high that was beyond compare. Our baby boy was here and he was safe.
Immediately Daddy walked over to watch over you while Dr. B and his nurses finished sewing me up. "Hey Jude" was playing. We discussed the origin of the song and how it's original title "Hey Jules" was written by Paul McCartney to comfort John Lennon's son Julian during his parent's divorce. We also discussed how your Daddy and I had considered naming you Jude before deciding upon Spencer. Before I knew it, surgery was over and I was wheeled into recovery.
Shortly after my arrival into recovery, you were handed to me for the first time. Holding you in my arms was indescribable. I couldn't believe how beautiful you were. You had your daddy's kissable lips and a head full of gorgeous hair. You were simply perfect.
Everything after that moment became a blur.
Daddy took you to the nursery for your first bath and I was taken to my room. What seemed like an eternity passed by as I waited for the nurses to bring my baby to the room like all the other babies. Finally, I was told that you were not regulating your temperature and you would need to warm under the heat lamps for a bit. No big deal. After that it was a series of visits and phone calls from the nursery, one after another telling us that we had yet another obstacle to endure. It was clear that our sweet angel would be spending more time with the nurses and less time with us.
Over Thursday and Friday, we had an influx of visitors, all very excited to see you. Although they couldn't hold you, each of them visited you through the nursery window and the consensus was in - you were precious! During that time period I was able to hold you three times, once in recovery and twice in the nursery. It wasn't much, but I was grateful for every minute.
On Saturday we received much better news, your temperature was regulating, jaundice was down and your blood sugar was maintaining beautifully. At 4:00PM you were brought into our room. Bless your heart, you were passed around and treated like our own personal dress up doll for hours. Around 10:00PM you were tuckered out and so were we. The nurses came and took you back to the nursery for some resting and testing.
So that brings us to the current moment, it's Sunday morning at 7:30AM. I'm jumping in the shower and heading up to visit my baby boy for what I hope is the very last time. The pediatrician feels confident that today we will go home and I couldn't be more excited. Your fur-brothers Napoleon and MacGruber have been waiting a long time to meet you and we're ready to show you the world.
Hope you're ready!
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment