Thursday, September 30, 2021

7 Years Later....

Dear 11-Year-Old-and-No-Longer-a-Baby Spencer, 

Wow, where has the time gone? 

Today I stumbled across a friend's blog and then I remembered, wait - I also have a blog! This prompted me to come here and read the last letter I ever wrote to you, and I was shocked to see that at 3.5 years old I had accessed you so accurately.

Since that last letter, you've obviously learned how to pronounce chicken nuggets and you no longer play with cars, but you are still definitely a polite rule-follower who is eager to please and loves his daddy. You still have so much goodness inside of you and I'm still confident that you're going to accomplish many wonderful things. 

I remember when you were little people would always say "oh yeah, well just wait until he turns two, he'll be terrible!...." and then it was "wait until he turns three, three-year-olds are SO HARD..." - but with each passing year, you just got better. 

I am not saying that you haven't ever had a bad day, or never challenged us, but for the most part, raising you has been a breeze. You're just a good kid. I don't know any other way to say it. You've always been sweet, you've always been kind, and you've always been agreeable. I'd love to pat myself on the back and claim that I did something great in parenting, but honestly - I think you were truly just born this way. 

I guess since it's been a really long time, I should catch you up on some things that have happened since your last letter...

IN 2014

it snowed


we went to a Braves game:


and to Disney World with Papa & Mimi






You got your tonsils & adenoids removed (that was a BLAST...)


You turned FOUR!


We moved to Granger Drive (this is what it looked like when we bought it!)



IN 2015...


We went back to Disney World - this time with NayNay, Sassy & the cousins





You started Pre-K in Mrs. Metcalf's class at Hollis Hand



We got Louis Kitty!



IN 2016 - 


You started Kindergarten in Mrs. Polavich's Murphy's class at HHE


We surprised you with a trip to Disney World for your 6th birthday




also, I went viral on the internet in commemorating the occasion...

and of course, the video of the surprise...


We adopted Harriett kitty!





IN 2017 


You went to your first hockey game...


GrandMary came to visit us


You started playing baseball - goooooo Whitecaps!

(l-r) Colt, Ezra, Roswell, Jon Wesley, Ben, Spencer, Cameron

You graduated Kindergarten with the "Honest Abe" award (featuring my broken foot)

The Braves got a new stadium!

You helped form a youth street hockey league




You started second grade in Mrs. Pickels' class at HHE


We went on the BEST beach trip 



You turned SEVEN!


It snowed!!


IN 2018


We adopted Theodore


and it snowed again!!



You played baseball for the River Bandits


We set the family goal to visit every MLB stadium, our first stop was Chicago to see the Braves play the Cubs. You flew in your first airplane! Unfortunately, the game was SNOWED OUT, but we made the best of it!




Great Wolf Lodge opened in LaGrange, and of course, we had to go!


We went to St. Simons (the first of many family trips!)


You started second grade in Mrs. Brannon's class at HHE


You turned eight years old!


You started playing Travel Ball with the Bandits (and lost some teeth!)



IN 2019


We celebrated GrandMary and Aunt Martha's 90TH BIRTHDAY!


and NayNay's 65th...



Talley graduated high school


We went to Florida


and to Memphis!



You had a Back-to-School pool party



and started Third Grade in Mrs. Trainer's class at HHE

we went to Chattanooga 




Theo got really big and turned white 😲

You turned NINE!


You went to your first music festival - Rockweave!



We went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge with Papa & Mimi



IN 2020


We got our little baby-baby, Lottie!


You formed a wrasslin' tag team with Wilson


Alyssa turned 16!




We celebrated St. Patrick's Day


Your team won a tournament!


....and then the whole world shut down


Covid-19 was spreading across the globe, so we had to stay inside. Our places of business closed, the schools closed, and we spent our lives at home.

So, we homeschooled...


and your sweet teacher stopped by to say hello...


There were drive-by birthday parties...


We made pizza from scratch (and you stopped cutting your hair)...


We waved forlornly to our friends we missed...



But then, by summer the stay-at-home orders were lifted and we were able to take a family trip to the beach...

and you won the Citizenship Award at school...


and finally got to play with your friends!


I turned 40! (and got to play with my friends!)


You had fondue for the first time!



Then you started your fourth-grade year in Mrs. Griffin's virtual class at HHE


...and turned 10 YEARS OLD!


then, after 214 DAYS - you officially returned to the halls of HHE!


We had a fun Halloween...


and a fun Christmas, too!


This brings us to the current year.....2021!

After a long year of being inside and barely going anywhere - we decided that we were going to catch up as much as possible in 2021...

So we started the year off at Universal Studios & Disney World...



and then went to Jacksonville Beach.

Baseball returned!


And so did hockey!


We went to Braves games...

and went rollerskating...


and to three cities, four beaches, 1 movie studio, and THREE BASEBALL STADIUMS IN CALIFORNIA!











Of course, we went to more Braves games...



and you started FIFTH GRADE in Mrs. McClung's class - your last year at HHE!


Then we celebrated your 11TH BIRTHDAY in a little city called CHICAGO! The weather was MUCH nicer this time. We were able to take an architectural boat tour, a couple of scary subway rides, and visit TWO MLB PARKS! 





and I think that brings us up to speed.

It's been a fun ride, kid. 

Love you,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment