Dear Spencer,
I was planning to wait to write your 9-month letter until we had our checkup at the doctor. I wanted to be able to tell you stats you'll never care about and give you an update on milestones that will be irrelevant in the future. However, today is Father's Day and I simply couldn't allow this day to come and go without a letter giving honor to the man we both love the most, Daddy.
But before we can honor Daddy, we must raise our glasses to the people who made him the man he is today, your Mimi and Papa.
They say you can't ever fully understand the love of your parents until you become a parent yourself. Daddy and I both now know that to be true. Until we had you, we thought the rules of our parents were just tools of suppression, meant to ruin our good time and ensure that this life was as risk-free as possible. Now that we are parents, we understand that those rules were actually created out of love and hope for the people (and parents) we would eventually become.
Judging by the wonderful man they raised, I'd say Mimi and Papa had some pretty good rules and a whole lot of love in their home. So the next time you see your Mimi and Papa, give them an extra hug and say "thanks" because, without their love and guidance, Daddy would be just another man.
Oh, but he isn't just another man.
Nope. Your Daddy is an outstanding man. A loving man. A great playmate, leader, and friend. The kind of man other men find themselves looking up to and other women wish their husbands would be more like. He's the man's man who enjoys watching baseball and football with the guys, but he's also the man who isn't ashamed to watch teen dramas with his wife. Your Daddy is the kind of man who people listen to and respect because he listens to and respects others. You can't help but value his opinion and you'd feel devastated to disappoint him.
When I met your Daddy I knew that all of these things would make him an excellent father. But even in knowing him and the person he is, I'm still amazed by how he is exceeding my expectations in this new role. He goes above and beyond what is expected of him to carry his weight - and even some of mine too. He plays on the floor with you every day and he wakes up with you every night. He showers you with kisses and guides you with patience.
So on this day (and every day), let's give cheers and thanks for our leading man, your Daddy. Happy Father's Day, Daddy. The world is a better place because of you.
Love
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment